Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Technology for Leaders Blog Reflection #2

As I implemented the Using Technology Tools for Formative Assessments pilot I realized how important it is to support the individuals throughout their experience making the change.  There were some teachers who became really engaged in the change process and continued to rely upon me for support.  These teachers had very positive experiences and walked away from the experience with a passion that they wanted to share with others.  Since we worked so closely we were able to plan through the use of the tools and the implementation was very smooth.  However, there was one teacher that was more resistant to making the change and did not want to use my support either.  He ended up having a more negative experience that turned him further away from using the tools.  I think that if I had been more persistent with offering him the support in the beginning, and throughout the implementation, his experience would have been better and he would be more likely to become invested in the change.  My takeaway from that experience was that I need to make sure that I am investing in supporting all of the teachers not just the ones who are eager for my help and support.  If I am able to at least check in with, and offer support to those that are somewhat resistant, it may improve their experiences in the future.

Through the pilot I also realized how important it is to let other teachers lead the initiative.  About half way into the pilot we had a technology sharing session as a PD opportunity.  I had asked a few teachers that had positive experiences if they could share what they were doing and how it was impacting their classes.  Once the other teachers heard about their experiences, and saw their passion for it, many other teachers wanted to follow suit.  I saw just how important it is to get a few dedicated members on a team that can rally the herd because they will be much more convincing than I will be on my own.  I also realized how important it is to provide opportunities for the teachers to share what they are doing with one another.  After that sharing session many of the teachers commented how that was one of their most beneficial PD days in a while because they learned so much from their fellow teachers.  

1 comment:

  1. Kara...you have hit on several key points! Faculty sharing their successes is important to include...there is something about a peer doing something and sharing it that makes it doable! Providing encouragement/support to those who are resistant is difficult (more fun to work with positive people), but is imperative for full support. One negative person can be like the one bad apple...it can grow. I'm glad you are determine to bring this person around...he needs to get past leaving his comfort zone!!

    ReplyDelete